Tuesday, January 15, 2008

There will be blood

Wouldn't that be a great name for a really tough trail run? (It might have applied to a run another blogger recently attempted.)

Things are hectic for me lately and I don't do hectic well. I get stressed, tired, start procrastinating and not doing things I should do. And I have a lot to do right now. Something to do with a wedding.

I am trying to justify the fact that I haven't run in three days or done my strength training by countering (to myself) that I did some pretty intense dancing with some very good friends last Saturday night. One of my friends even injured her knee on the dance floor and is going to an orthopedic doctor this week. That's how intense it was. (Or that's how old we are.)

But I'll get out there for 8 miles somehow today.

Non-running related, I saw There Will Be Blood last week and really loved it - except for the end. The ending was pretty over the top and somewhat out of character for the rest of the film.

SPOILER ALERT - if you haven't seen it yet you may want to stop reading now. I'm going to give away a little bit about the ending. This is an example of how I procrastinate when, for example, I should be trying to find the right stationary for my wedding invitations. I came up with an alternate ending to the movie instead.

In my version of the ending, everything is the same up to where Daniel gets Eli to repeat the line that he's a false prophet. After Daniel then tells him that there's no oil on the land and Eli is sitting there crying into his drink, they should go back to the silence that was so effective earlier in the movie. You just see both of their faces for a minute - the grief and shame on Eli's and the mirth and hate in Daniel's eyes. Then the butler guy comes down and asks if Daniel needs anything. Daniel gets up, shuffles to the door, and before leaving, then turns and says "I'm finished."

I'm going with my ending. It makes more sense to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there - I saw your headline on the RBF feed and just had to read it. Also saw the movie last week and LOVED it, thought it was a masterpiece.

Interestingly enough, I had practically this same conversation after the movie. I thought the ending was fitting -- I was honestly waiting the whole movie for him to go completely crazy and do something like that -- but a friend said the ending should have been exactly the way you describe it ... he also thought it was over-the-top and out of context.

Anyway, back to running -- I'm a beginning runner training (and blogging - check me out!) in preparation for the Shamrock Half marathon in March.

I'm looking forward to reading your posts -- good luck with your running!