Thursday, January 17, 2008

Overdress for success

It's been COLD here the past few days, and I'm convinced that the weather sites were mis-reporting the temperatures to be higher than they actually were. Tuesday and Wednesday both, I checked the temperatures before dressing for what should have been a mildly cold run, only to have chilly fingers from start to finish.

I don't run well in the cold. I am stiff and completely miserable. Much of it is probably mental, but rather than overcome my bad attitude, I prefer to over dress for the temperatures. I layer on until I'm sweating standing still in minus zero temperatures. I know it's not the recommended approach for cold-weather running, but that's the only way I can get myself out the door.

Today I decided to ignore the reported temperatures and dress as if I were running around the arctic circle. Two pairs of pants, 4 layers on my upper body, a hat with ear covering and gloves. A little chilly starting out, but finally, about 2 miles into it I broke a sweat. Aaah. That's more like it.

Oh, and 3 days of running in a row! 8-5-8. They were not the best runs I've had, but I'm proud of myself for just getting out there.

2 comments:

ar said...

I ran yesterday in my cotton shorts and dryshirt longsleeve. My knees turned red with cold but I didn't get too chilled (of course I sweat like a pig, a hot pig).
http://thismanruns.blogspot.com

Paulie said...

I ran yesterday in dry-fit long pants and non-breathing wind breaker. My hands were cold but the rest of me was fine.

I've completed my first three days in a row for some time. Of course my mileage was 3-4-3, but that's fine because that's what was on the schedule.

Continue to run well and stay healthy. Cheers!