Thursday, February 21, 2008

I have PMS (Pre Marathon Syndrome)

I have been experiencing 8 out of these 11 common symptoms of PMS (Pre Marathon Syndrome) for about 3-4 weeks now. Breast swelling is not one of them, unfortunately. It feels wonderful to finally have a name for what I've been going through! Here's some information I found on the internet.

What are the symptoms of PMS?

PMS often includes both physical and emotional symptoms. Common symptoms are:

  • acne
  • breast swelling and tenderness
  • feeling tired
  • having trouble sleeping
  • upset stomach, bloating, constipation, or diarrhea
  • headache or backache
  • appetite changes or food cravings
  • joint or muscle pain
  • trouble concentrating or remembering
  • tension, irritability, mood swings, or crying spells
  • anxiety or depression

What is the treatment for PMS?

Many things have been tried to ease the symptoms of PMS. No treatment works for every runner, so you may need to try different ones to see what works. If your PMS is not so bad that you need to see a doctor, some lifestyle changes may help you feel better. Below are some lifestyle changes that may help ease your symptoms.

  • Take a multivitamin every day that includes 400 micrograms of folic acid. (I have been eating very badly lately, so this isn't a bad idea.)
  • A calcium supplement with vitamin D can help keep bones strong and may help ease some PMS symptoms. (Hmmm, interesting idea.)
  • Exercise regularly. (Sort of a "hair of the dog" approach I guess.)
  • Eat healthy foods, including fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. (see bullet 1)
  • Avoid salt, sugary foods, caffeine, and alcohol, especially when you are having PMS symptoms. (ONLY as a last resort. And maybe not even then.)
  • Get enough sleep. Try to get 8 hours of sleep each night. (Not a problem. Getting out of a bed has been though.)
  • Find healthy ways to cope with stress. Talk to your friends, exercise, or write in a journal. (How about a blog?)
  • Don’t smoke. (Only if I can keep the salt, sugar, caffeine, & alcohol.)

In the meantime, I'm going to see Spririt of the Marathon tonight. Maybe it will give me motivation. In 3 days, it will be 4 weeks until the marathon. In a little over a week, I'll do my last LONG run before the taper. It's finally creeping up, thank god!! I feel like I've been training forever.

No comments: