Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Better week than the prior

Maybe it was the rant last week, more likely that I've been able to return to some better eating habits, but my mood regarding running has improved significantly this past week (and no, there's no relationship to my monthly cycle!) After the 16-miler last Saturday, I did 3 on Sunday, strength on Monday, 3 on Tuesday, 5 on Wednesday, 3 on Thursday, 14 on Saturday, and 3 on Sunday. Also, I think it started to help when I realized that the marathon is now only 4 weeks away. I have a 22 miler on schedule for this weekend, and then I get to taper!! Whoo-hoo! Finally.

I saw the Spirit of the Marathon last Thursday night. I was cynical at first as to whether it would have any effect on me, but as the movie continued I started to feel more inspired. Especially watching and listening to the elite runners. I liked the line from one of the back-of-the-packers who said that we're literally following in their footsteps.

Looking back, I think that poor eating was the likely culprit of my low energy and cranky attitude these past few weeks. With all the travel I did in January and the first part of February, my eating habits suffered. Not only was I not eating well, I don't think I was eating enough considering the running. I definitely wasn't drinking enough water either. I lost a bit of weight last month - most people wouldn't be able to tell, but I can. I'm not complaining! Just that I'm not really trying to lose weight.

Normally, I'm a relatively healthy eater. First thing each day, I have a piece of wheat toast with coffee while I pour out some frozen fruit to thaw. About mid-morning, I cover the fruit with some plain yogurt and granola and eat it with a glass of O.J. Lunches are generally PB sandwiches (made with this Flaxseed Peanut Butter I found) or something similarly small and healthy. MOB's a healthy eater too (much healthier than me), so the dinners we share are usually home-made meals that include vegetables and often a salad. Plus I generally finish a 2-liter bottle of rasberry-flavored selzer water each day.

I'm not a perfect eater by any means - I have my daily chocolate fix and I'll have whatever I want when out with friends (some rules: rarely, if ever, anything deep-fried and I never drink sodas), but generally, I'm pretty good.

This past week, I've been able to get back to my eating routine and it's amazing how much better I feel.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Now what could you have not eaten to make you cranky?! That's a great daily diet you (usually) have there. I hate travel for the same reasons -- throws everything off schedule.

Glad you're "back." And have fun during the taper.

Rundoodle said...

Thanks Anne. I was just skipping meals period. Things have been getting very busy and somewhat stressful at work and I'd keep procrastinating my meals until they were skipped. Then at the end of the day, I'd wonder why I felt cranky and unmotivated.